Choosing the right managed WordPress hosting is crucial for the smooth running of your WordPress website. A good managed WordPress hosting service should provide excellent support, great website speeds, secure infrastructure and offer peace of mind when it comes to technical updates.
In this guide, we ranked and reviewed the best managed WordPress hosting providers based on our 20+ years of experience with website hosting and management.
10 Top Managed WordPress Hosting
|1. Kinsta||A premium solution for managed WordPress hosting optimized for speed, security, and performance.||Read ReviewVisit Site|
|2. Bluehost||An officially recommended WordPress hosting provider that is affordable and easily scalable.||Read ReviewVisit Site|
|3. Hostinger||They offer the cheapest managed hosting plans for WordPress. A great option if you want to get started quickly and keep your costs to a minimum.||Read ReviewVisit Site|
|4. WP Engine||It’s considered one of the best WordPress hosting providers and there are no drawbacks to suggest otherwise.||Read ReviewVisit Site|
|5. Knownhost||They offer the best support for WordPress hosting in the industry with reasonable pricing and powerful plans.||Read ReviewVisit Site|
|6. SiteGround||A top-rated company offering a powerful hosting solution for all kinds of WordPress installations.||Read ReviewVisit Site|
|7. FlyWheel||A premium WordPress hosting provider. They offer a perfect solution for agencies and freelancers managing multiple sites.||Read ReviewVisit Site|
|8. DreamHost||An experienced hosting provider with good support options.||Read ReviewVisit Site|
|9. Inmotion||Recommended for hosting multiple websites on the same account. All plans come with unlimited resources.||Read ReviewVisit Site|
|10. HostGator||Reasonable prices from a respected company. They offer a wide range of hosting plans.||Read ReviewVisit Site|
How to Choose a Managed Hosting Provider?
When choosing a managed hosting provider for your WordPress website, you should be aware of two important things.
The first is to be careful with other reviews you’ll read online. They tend to rate hosting providers based on the commission they’ll receive for each referral and not the value of the services offered.
This is not the case with this review. As you’ll read below, we did extensive research to present to you the real pros and cons of each service so that you can make an informed decision.
The second thing is to examine thoroughly the features offered by each company and not just the initial cost. Hosting companies tend to advertise their cheapest hosting packages to attract customers and once you register, you are presented with unpleasant surprises.
To help you avoid being scammed we analyzed the hosting plans of each company based on five important factors: monthly cost, monthly traffic allowance, hard disk storage, number of websites, and CDN availability.
To present our findings in a meaningful way, we compared the WordPress hosting plans of top companies for up to 100,000 visits per month.
The table below compares the cost of the premium packages offered by the most popular WordPress hosting companies. You can click on a company name to read our detailed review.
|Hosting Provider||Monthly Cost||Monthly Visits||Storage||Websites||CDN|
|Bluehost||$14.95||150,000||40 GB||1||Built-in CDN|
|WP Engine||$140||100,000||20 GB||10||Built-in CDN|
|SiteGround||$6.69||100,000||20 GB||Unlimited||Built-in CDN|
|FlyWheel||$115||100,000||20 GB||10||Fastly CDN|
Managed WordPress Hosting Reviews
Kinsta is on top of our list not because of its price (it’s not cheap), but for offering one of the most complete managed WordPress hosting packages you can find on the market. It’s a premium hosting provider used by high-traffic websites and big brands.
Kinsta is a cloud hosting provider and its infrastructure is built on top of the Google Cloud Platform. This means they can offer faster servers and redundancy is built-in.
- Kinsta infrastructure is powered by Google Cloud Platform which is faster and more secure than other hosts.
- You can choose a data center to host your WordPress website that is closer to your visitors (they offer 29 locations) and benefit from lower latency and faster page load times.
- You get free daily backups of all your websites.
- Cloudflare Enterprise CDN is included in the price.
- All their plans include all the expected features for managed WordPress hosting.
- All the hosting plans have a monthly visits limit. This means that as your traffic grows, you’ll have to pay more for hosting. There are other providers that offer unlimited monthly visits.
- The backup retention period for their starter plans is only 14 days. To get more retention days, you’ll need to upgrade to a more expensive plan or handle backups yourself.
Kinsta WordPress hosting starts at $30 per month. At this price, you can install one domain, get 10 GB of SSD storage, and enjoy all premium features like Free CDN, Cloudflare Enterprise, Google Cloud platform, and free SSL.
For $100 per month, you can host 5 websites on the same account, and get 30GB of storage and 100K monthly visits.
Compared to other premium providers, Kinsta plans are more affordable for websites with 100K visits per month.
Read the Kinsta 2022 Review to learn more about the best and worst features of this hosting provider.
You should sign up with Kinsta if you want the best hosting experience for your website. The $30 per month is expensive compared to other hosts but a reasonable amount if you want a platform that is really fast, reliable, and secure.
Bluehost is one of the hosting companies recommended by the official WordPress website. They offer an affordable and easily scalable WordPress platform. It’s a popular hosting company with years of experience in the hosting industry.
- Their starting plan ($9.95/mo) supports up to 25K visits per month which is more than other hosting providers
- All plans come with the auto-scalability feature that keeps your website running in case of traffic spikes.
- Transparent pricing – one nice thing about Bluehost is that you know in advance what you’ll pay when renewing your hosting package.
- Limited support options and sometimes slow response on getting a solution to a reported issue.
- No option to choose the location of your hosting server. Although the Bluehost network consists of more than 200 servers, it would be nice if you had the option to choose a primary location that is closer to your users.
Starting at $9.95 per month, Bluehost packages include everything you need for your WordPress website including Free SSL, staging environment (for development and testing), daily backups, and malware protection and removal.
For $14.95 per month, you get 40GB of storage and up to 150K monthly visits.
Read the Bluehost 2022 Review to learn more about the best and worst features of this hosting provider.
Bluehost is one of the companies we’ve been using for many years now. It’s affordable, easy to use and one of the best options for beginners to managed WordPress hosting. If you don’t want to pay for premium hosting (Kinsta, WP Engine, Flywheel), this is your next best alternative at a much lower price.
Hostinger is a relatively new hosting company, founded in 2007. They offer the cheapest managed WordPress hosting plans in the industry at just $1.99 per month. If cost is a big issue for you, you should definitely consider signing up with Hostinger.
- They offer the most affordable starting plans in the industry.
- Simple to get started – beginner-friendly interface.
- Low renewal cost – unlike other hosting providers, when you renew your initial plan with Hostinger you get better prices.
- To get a dedicated IP for your website, you need to sign up for their Pro plan ($11.95/mo).
- Some other features like a staging website, unlimited databases, CDN, and SSH access are only available with their premium plans.
With the $1.99 per month package, you get 1 website, 30 GB of storage, free SSL, and 1 email account.
With $6.99 per month, you get 200 GB storage, 100K visits 100 websites, and unlimited bandwidth.
Read the Hostinger 2022 Review to learn more about the best and worst features of this hosting provider.
Hostinger is not a premium WordPress hosting provider. They are a good option if you want to get started quickly and keep your costs to a minimum. As your website grows, you’ll definitely have to upgrade to one of their more expensive plans (which is still lower in cost compared to other hosts).
4. WP Engine
WP Engine was built for WordPress. It is considered by many the best WordPress host and there are no serious drawbacks to suggest otherwise.
It’s not a cheap option, in fact, is the most expensive host especially as your traffic grows but it’s certainly worth it. If your goal is to build an online business and offer the best possible experience to your users, then WP Engine is the way to go.
- It’s one of the most reliable hosting providers with infrastructure optimized for WordPress
- Free premium themes with all packages
- Developer-friendly – easy to set up different environments (dev, staging, production) for faster web development.
- Fully managed WordPress hosting with a 60-day money-back guarantee.
- All plans come with a lower storage capacity compared to other providers. This could be a problem if have a lot of images and videos on your website. Adding more storage is an option but that will increase the monthly cost.
- Although it’s worth it, it’s the most expensive premium WordPress hosting especially for high-traffic websites (above 100K visits per month).
WP Engine managed WordPress plans start at $24 per month. With that price, you can host 1 website, and you get 10 GB of storage.
For $140 per month, you can upgrade to the Growth plan which gives you 20 GB of local storage and 10 websites.
WP Engine Review
Read the WP Engine 2022 Review to learn more about the best and worst features of this hosting provider.
We use WP Engine on behalf of our clients and can guarantee their services and performance. It’s not a hosting provider for the average user due to cost but it’s a great option for big brands, high-traffic websites, and startups looking for the best of the best.
Knownhost is one of the first companies to offer managed hosting services to clients. They have a lot of experience in the industry as managed service providers and the best support you can find. It’s a smaller company compared to the rest but one that takes customer satisfaction seriously.
- The best support in the industry. Communicate (by email) directly with experts and solve your problems fast.
- All hosting servers come with Cpanel pre-installed at no additional cost.
- You get full root access to your servers – particularly useful for development purposes.
- Only three data centers to choose from (2 in the US and 1 in Europe).
- Their basic plan supports only 1 website.
With only $5.98 per month, you get 50GB of storage, unlimited email accounts, unmetered bandwidth, and up to 100K visits per month. Compared to other hosts, this is the best managed WordPress package for beginners.
With $9.98 per month, you can double your storage, bandwidth, and monthly users limit.
Read the Knownhost 2022 Review to learn more about the best and worst features of this hosting provider.
Knownhost is the hosting company we use for this website for the last 10 years. We are very happy with their uptime (it’s almost 100%) and infrastructure. Their pricing is somewhere in the middle between the cheapest and the most expensive hosts but overall is a great host that we can recommend without hesitation.
SiteGround is a great choice for managed WordPress hosting. It’s a top-rated company and is officially recommended by WordPress as one of the best WordPress hosting providers. They offer a fast and secure infrastructure with 24/7 support.
- A premium but affordable WordPress hosting solution. One of the best value for money options on our list.
- Free daily backups (30-day retention).
- Officially recommended by WordPress.
- You can have unlimited WordPress websites on the same account.
- They offer unlimited bandwidth on all plans.
- Their cheapest plan has a limit of 10K monthly users which is low compared to other hosts.
With the SiteGround startup plan at $3.99 per month, you get 10GB of local storage, 1 website, 10K monthly visits, and all the tools you need to get started with your first WordPress website.
With $6.69 per month, you get double the storage (20 GB), unlimited websites, and up to 100K monthly visits.
Read the SiteGround 2022 Review to learn more about the best and worst features of this hosting provider.
At a relatively low price, you can host unlimited websites on the same account. You also get unmetered data transfer which is not the case with other hosts. We use SiteGround for hosting a Woocommerce website and never had any security or speed issues.
Flywheel is the go-to choice for freelancers and agencies who manage multiple WordPress websites for their clients. Besides offering the standard features you would expect from a premium hosting provider, they also have workflow tools to help you with managing multiple accounts.
- Great features for agencies or freelancers handling different client websites.
- Ability to transfer a site to a client or move billing to another account.
- Beginner-friendly interface – very easy to use.
- CDN is included with all packages at no extra cost.
- They exclusively host WordPress websites only on their network.
- With their starting package, you only get 5GB of storage.
- Higher monthly costs compared to other providers.
The Flywheel started plan costs $15 per month and includes 1 WordPress site, 5 GB of storage, and a limit of 5000 monthly users.
To take advantage of the tools available for Freelancers and Agencies you have to choose one of their premium plans at $115/mo (up to 100K visits) or $290/mo (up to 400K monthly visits).
Read the FlyWheel 2022 Review to learn more about the best and worst features of this hosting provider.
Flywheel offers an infrastructure build for WordPress that includes everything you need for the smooth running of websites of any size. On top of that, if you’re an agency you’ll love their dashboards, reports, and customized tools for managing multiple clients with ease. If you plan to provide hosting as part of your services then Flywheel is your best option.
DreamHost is a highly-rated company offering hosting services for the past 20 years. They provide a range of plans including managed hosting for WordPress including custom-made plans.
- Their starter plan supports up to 100K monthly visits. For most websites, this will be enough for a number of years without having to upgrade to a more expensive plan.
- One of the most experienced hosting providers with 20+ years in the industry.
- They offer unlimited bandwidth on all WordPress plans.
- They are among a few companies that still offer Phone support.
- Features such as CDN and priority support are only available with their more expensive plans.
- They only allow one WordPress installation on all their plans.
Dreamhost managed WordPress plans start at $16.95 per month. This supports 100K monthly visitors, unlimited emails, 30 GB of storage, unmetered bandwidth, and free SSL.
If you need more power you can upgrade to the DreamPress Plus package and get 60 GB of SSD storage and a 300K monthly visits limit.
Read the DreamHost 2022 Review to learn more about the best and worst features of this hosting provider.
DreamHost is a decent choice for hosting your website. It’s not a premium hosting provider like Kinsta, WP Engine, or Flywheel but still a good option especially if you’re looking for a custom-made plan or have special hosting requirements.
Inmotion has been founded in 2001 and it’s one of the leading hosting companies in the industry. They offer a range of services with an incredible 90-days money-back guarantee which is the best you can find from a hosting provider.
- You get $150 advertising credits when you sign-up for an account.
- They offer a 90-days money-back guarantee on all plans.
- You get free emails with all accounts.
- You can host unlimited sites on the same account.
- Their chat support system is slow. Although you’ll eventually get a solution to your problem, their response is not as good as other hosting providers.
Inmotion starter plan costs $3.99 per month and comes loaded with a ton of features including 100GB of storage.
By upgrading to the WP Launch plan which costs just $7.99 per month you get unlimited websites, unlimited storage, unlimited bandwidth, and unlimited emails.
Read the Inmotion 2022 Review to learn more about the best and worst features of this hosting provider.
Inmotion is the company we use for some of our own websites and for hosting multiple client websites in the same account. It’s a great company, with good support and attractive pricing packages. Highly recommended for hosting any type of WordPress website.
HostGator offers multiple hosting plans for hosting your WordPress website. Their Starter Plan has everything you need to get started without worrying about monthly user limits or bandwidth metering.
- You get a Free domain name for one year with all plans.
- You get a $150 Google Ads coupon code with your registration.
- They offer good support options including phone, email, and chat.
- Missing some of the features offered by premium providers like CDN and the option to choose the location your website will be hosted.
With the HostGator starter plan (at $5.95 per month) you get 1 website, 1 GB of storage, free SSL, free domain for up to 100K visits per month.
The Standard Plan (at $7.95 per month), doubles your storage, monthly visits, and the number of sites.
Read the HostGator 2022 Review to learn more about the best and worst features of this hosting provider.
HostGator made it on our list because it’s a respected company in the industry. It’s a good option if you want the standard features offered by most providers but it’s not a premium host.
What is Managed WordPress Hosting?
Managed WordPress is a specialized hosting package offered by hosting providers specifically suited for WordPress users. The entire hosting platform is built around WordPress, making WordPress sites run faster and more secure.
As indicated by the name, in a managed environment, the hosting provider is responsible for taking care of all aspects of running a WordPress website including backups, software updates, server updates, and security.
This is different from non-managed packages where the client is responsible for all technical and server tasks.
Do I need Managed WordPress Hosting?
In a nutshell, yes. Besides taking advantage of an infrastructure optimized for WordPress the main reason to sign up for a managed hosting package is premium support. All providers have WordPress experts to help you with technical stuff so that you can spend more time building your online business.
To help you choose the best WordPress hosting provider, we’ve reviewed the most popular WordPress hosting packages from reputable companies. Our review was based on our own experience working with multiple providers since 2002.
We highly recommend all hosting providers listed above without any hesitation.