Digital marketing associates frequently work alongside other specialists, from SEO experts to social media managers, to execute digital marketing strategies that help a company’s products or services stand out online.
What Does a Digital Marketing Associate Do?
Digital marketing associates may be tasked to create content, manage social media accounts, analyze data, and perform keyword research.
Although many digital marketing associates operate in “entry-level” positions, they have access to unlimited opportunities for growth, as they can gain experience in a multitude of promotional environments.
What is a Digital Marketing Associate?
A digital marketing associate is a professional responsible for handling various aspects of a company’s promotional strategies. Depending on the scope of your role as a digital marketing associate, you may be responsible for developing and implementing digital marketing strategies for a company’s website, social media platforms, and other web-based resources.
The role of a digital marketing associate can vary depending on your employer. However, it generally requires a deep knowledge of online marketing techniques and a focus on collaborative work.
A successful role as a digital marketing associate could open the door to various new positions in social media, SEO, and digital marketing.
Digital Marketing Associate Responsibilities
Some of the most common responsibilities of a digital marketing associate may include the following:
- Creating and executing a Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategy
- Developing and managing social media campaigns across multiple channels
- Monitoring competitor activities online and creating campaigns based on findings
- Creating reports and analyzing data to measure the success of marketing initiatives
- Researching the latest trends in digital marketing
- Conducting keyword research to determine which words to rank for in SEO and PPC strategies
- Designing user personas and customer profiles to guide marketing efforts
- Working with tools such as Google AdWords, SEMrush, and Facebook Ads
- Managing the flow of contact data to CRM systems with landing pages and forms
- Editing and proof-reading content for websites and blogs
- Producing original marketing content for paid and organic advertisements
- Designing essential marketing tools such as social media creative and forms
- Using CMS (Content Management System) tools for promotion
- Collaborating with team members on brand awareness campaigns
- Creating presentations to assist marketing teams
The fastest way to start a career in digital marketing is to build job-ready skills using a proven step-by-step training course. The Ultimate Digital Marketing Bundle will teach you how digital marketing works and prepare you for an entry-level job.
Digital Marketing Associate Skills and Education
Digital Marketing Associates don’t necessarily require a formal education or degree to start an entry-level position. However, you may find getting a high-paying job with the proper prior education easier. Most employers will appreciate at least a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as marketing, advertising, or business management.
You will need an understanding of the most commonly used digital marketing techniques. This will mean developing your SEO knowledge, social media marketing, paid advertising, email marketing, video, podcasts, blogging, and content creation.
While some Digital Marketing Associates will receive on-the-job training to assist them in learning the specific advertising procedures and processes of the company, various online digital marketing courses can also offer extra guidance.
Courses related to social media marketing, content creation, search engine optimization, and paid advertising will be beneficial. Training in analytics, customer assessments, and competitor analysis may also be helpful.
Certifications in digital marketing will make you more competitive when applying for a role in this growing landscape. It’s also worth updating your skills regularly with new courses to ensure you’re up to date with the latest marketing trends.
Some core skills you may need to learn as a Digital Marketing Associate include the following:
- Basic web design skills: Some employers may require you to have a basic knowledge of HTML and CSS, so you can create custom forms, landing pages, and other tools for collecting leads. You should also know how to use standard CMS systems like WordPress and Shopify for online promotion.
- Social media marketing: Most Digital Marketing Associates must know how to create and promote content across various social channels. You may need to know how to analyze social campaigns, find influencers to work with, and create paid and organic content for your company’s profiles.
- Search engine optimization: Digital Marketing Associates should know how to effectively optimize the website content to improve its visibility in the search engine results pages. This will involve regularly auditing and analyzing a website’s content structure. You may also need an understanding of keyword research and backlinking.
- Email marketing: You should clearly understand how to use newsletters and automated email campaigns to connect with customers. You will also need to be able to segment customers into different groups based on their purchasing habits and preferences.
- Content creation: Most Digital Marketing Associates will be responsible for creating various types of content based on the company’s advertising strategy. You may need to write blogs and press releases, produce videos and podcasts, and track the results of each campaign.
- Analytics: To ensure advertising campaigns are successful, Digital Marketing Associates will need to be able to analyze the results of each effort using a variety of tools. This may include using built-in reporting software on a website or social media platform or interacting with third-party solutions.
What’s the Best Way to Become a Digital Marketing Associate?
Becoming a Digital Marketing Associate can be a great way to start a new career in online marketing. It’s a good entry point for anyone wanting to build a career in marketing, as it can help you gain experience in various relevant areas.
However, there’s no real one-size-fits-all strategy for jumping into this landscape.
If you don’t have any marketing experience, you could consider finding an internship or enrolling in online courses to earn relevant certifications.
It may be worth seeking a bachelor’s degree, too, as this will improve your chances of being hired and may allow you to apply for more senior roles in the future. Here are some steps to get you started.
- Decide on a Marketing Specialty
- Research Courses and Build Your Education
- Develop Experience in Marketing
- Build Your Network
1. Decide on a Marketing Specialty
As a Digital Marketing Associate, you’ll be responsible for various marketing tasks.
Basic knowledge of all of the components of a solid digital marketing strategy is essential, but knowing your interests is also helpful. If you find social media particularly compelling, you can build your experience and knowledge in that area to help direct your career path in the future.
- What parts of digital marketing interest you the most?
- Are there specific tasks you prefer to avoid?
- Where do you have pre-existing skills and talents?
2. Research Courses and Build Your Education
As mentioned above, some employers won’t require their Digital Marketing Associates to have a specific degree, but a good education can significantly improve your career opportunities. Research bachelor’s degree related to marketing and business management.
Consider signing up for online courses which can help you to strengthen your skills in advertising areas such as social media, SEO, and content production. You may want to learn how to build basic websites and landing pages or expand your knowledge in areas like email marketing too.
As your career progresses, you’ll need to stay updated with the latest marketing strategies and trends. Be prepared to commit to a lifelong plan for education.
3. Develop Experience in Marketing
Experience is key to a role as a Digital Marketing Associate. You may need to start in a relatively simple entry-level position, where you can practice working alongside other marketing experts to create compelling campaigns.
It may also be helpful to start building your portfolio in your free time, where you can showcase your landing pages, email marketing campaigns, and social media strategies to potential employers.
Look for options to expand your experience wherever possible, even if it means creating your own website or blog or working freelance. You can also consider volunteering your services to non-profit organizations.
4. Build Your Network
Networking is an essential part of building any successful career. The more connections you make with other marketing professionals and business leaders, the more opportunities you’ll have to seek out new roles and opportunities.
Attend events where you can learn about the latest marketing and promotional trends and share your details with professionals.
Consider joining dedicated marketing forums on the web or connecting with people over social media channels like Facebook and LinkedIn. As you progress through your career, regularly ask for feedback and endorsements from the people you work with to boost your credibility.
How Much Do Digital Marketing Associates Make?
Digital Marketing Associates can potentially earn between $45K to $55K per year. The actual salaries can vary depending on your level of education, the company you choose to work for, and years of experience.
Some professionals may also earn additional compensation through commissions and bonuses linked to specific campaigns.
According to Salary.com, the average Digital Marketing Associate is around $49,651 annually, with a salary range of between $45,180 and $55,501.
Glassdoor indicates the average salary may be a little higher, at around $50,472 per year.
The market for digital marketing experts, advertising professionals, and promotional assistants is expanding. The number of jobs is expected to increase by around 10% up to 2031.
Is a Digital Marketing Associate a Good Career?
A career as a Digital Marketing Associate can be extremely lucrative for the right person. If you’re interested in advertising, particularly within the online sphere, then a role as a Digital Marketing Associate will allow you to experiment with different methodologies and strategies.
You’ll be able to expand your skills in various areas, from SEO to social media marketing, and discover which parts of the advertising world appeal most to you. Plus, you’ll have endless learning opportunities and chances for growth.
Some of the most significant benefits of choosing Digital Marketing Associate as your new role include:
- Learning opportunities: During your Digital Marketing Associate career, you’ll be able to develop new skills by learning from others and engaging in various tasks. You’ll learn how to create and implement various promotional strategies as part of a fast-paced team. Plus, you’ll engage in various tasks, so you should find the job diverse and interesting, with little repetition.
- Security: The demand for Digital Marketing Professionals is consistently growing. This means you shouldn’t have too much trouble seeking out employment opportunities. You should be able to earn a reasonable salary, which could increase as your experience and knowledge expand.
- Progression potential: The skills you learn in your Digital Marketing Associate career will pave the way to new job opportunities. You could seek out roles in brand management, and digital marketing management or become a social media, SEO, or digital marketing specialist. You could also consider starting a business of your own as a freelancer.
Overall, if you’re looking for flexibility, versatility, security, and endless career opportunities, then a role as a Digital Marketing Associate might be ideal for you.